As we move into the colder months, staying active can seem difficult between the brutal cold and fears of falling alone.
Many are looking for ways to stay active indoors out of the cold! We hear that statement often during the late fall and winters, and not just from seniors.
Here we have a few ideas to consider:
- First, walking is a great form of exercise! But some may be reluctance to walk outside when it is snowy and icy. The good news is that there are several ways to get a daily walk in that won’t require you to brave the elements. Many shopping malls open early for walkers. Lace up those sneakers and walk before the rush of the crowds begins for the day. Call the nearest Columbus-area shopping mall to see what they offer.
- If there isn’t a mall near that offers morning walking or if you prefer to walk later in the day, consider going to a department store or home improvement store. Walking laps around the outside aisles of these larger stores is another easy way to get your walk in. Wear a pedometer or fitness tracker to monitor your progress.
- Another idea is to check with your health insurance provider to see if they partner with Silver Sneakers. Many Medicare replacement plans offer a membership at no cost to seniors. Silver Sneaker classes take place at YMCA branches, local rehab communities and other fitness centers.
- For days when the weather is just too bad to leave home, consider investing in a treadmill or stationary bike. If you ask friends and family, you might even be able to find a used one in good condition. Another few snowy day activities might be Wii fitness games or taking a virtual Chair Yoga class on YouTube.
Keep Your Mind Sharp
- Staying mentally active is also important when cabin fever starts to set in. Playing cards, painting, sketching and listening to music are all good activities. Consider learning how to play an instrument or taking up a new foreign language. Many can be done completely online.
- Strolling Trivia is one of the most requested events in our communities. Participants answer challenging trivia questions while strolling along. Topics range from current events to American history. Visitors are always welcome to join us!
We hope these new ideas will help you stay active this winter!