For the first time since I became a caregiver for my mom, my husband and I will be taking our family on a summer vacation. We know before long our kids won’t be very interested in spending their summers with us so we want to make this trip a priority.
My concern is for my mom. She lives with us now and she isn’t safe to travel with us or to stay alone. I have heard about respite care, but don’t know much about it. Would it be an option for my mom while we are out of town?
Cassandra in Columbus
Yes! Respite was designed for situations like the one you find yourself in.
Respite services offer a care solution for older adults and people with a disability who need extra support on a short-term basis. It might be a temporary stay in an assisted living community or the help of an in-home caregiver.
In your case, your mom can enjoy a short-term stay with us while you relax and enjoy your vacation knowing she is in good hands.
What Family Caregivers Should Know about Respite Care
A respite stay in an assisted living community offers seniors all of the services and amenities our long-term residents enjoy. Most assisted living communities allow respite residents to stay from a few days or up to one month.
Here’s what you should know about what is included in a respite care stay at an assisted living community:
- Fully furnished apartment or suite to enjoy
- Three well-balanced meals each day and healthy snacks between meals
- Most assisted living communities can even accommodate special diets
- Assistance with personal care needs such as bathing, grooming, toileting, and dressing
- Support managing medications to ensure the correct dose of is taken at the right time
- Caregivers nearby around-the-clock supervision
- Laundry and housekeeping services provided
- Life enrichment activities planned throughout the day and evening
- Transportation services for appointments and errands
Most assisted living communities will encourage you to bring a few of your mom’s favorite belongings to help her apartment feel more like home. It could be something as simple as her favorite throw and a few framed family photos.
It is always best to schedule your respite stay as soon as you know the dates for your vacation. Summer is a busy time for respite and you will want to make sure the community you like has space available.
Hope you have a great trip, Cassandra!
MacIntosh Company has a number of communities with opportunities for respite care for when you need a break from the daily life of a caregiver. Call us today at 614-345-9500 to learn more about respite care and what it could mean for you and your family.